My kids have superpowers. That’s the only way I can explain
the feats of which they are capable. My daughter, who has been the focus of
past writings, produces enough energy in a day to power the Death Star for
several years. I vividly remember the moment she was imbued with her abilities;
she was not quite a year old and we had gone outside to witness a partial solar
eclipse. She stared skyward for a few moments with a wide-eyed curiosity, a
stare that only a child whose mind is ready to be filled with all of the
information they can possibly absorb, can have. Then, something happened; her
eyes and face transformed from wide and innocent to pensive and discerning, as
if she had just experienced an epiphanous manifestation of some great store of
power and knowledge. I’m fairly certain that a craft from an alien
civilization, one endowed with understanding and technology far superior to our
own, was using the eclipse as cover while searching for a human in which to
deposit powerful abilities. Their purpose, no doubt, was to test our mettle as
a species and determine if our fragile form could handle such advanced physical
and mental capabilities. They, in their great wisdom, did not, however, have
the forethought to grant the parents of their great experiment the abilities to
cope with those powers.
My son, who is
now a year old, unleashed his powers at a moment of pain and fury. He is
teething and is currently working on a molar, which, judging from the time,
effort, and discomfort he is experiencing to produce this particular tooth,
must be burrowing into his head from another dimension. As I was getting him
dressed one morning, he was visibly uncomfortable. His little fists were
clenched in a way that looked like he was ready to waylay something with tiny,
Kung-Fu fury. His eyes widened, his little mouth opened, and then he unleashed
a sound that I had never before heard from man nor beast. Imagine
if a velociraptor and a banshee performed a duet and broadcast it through that
giant speaker in the beginning of Back to the Future that blew Marty McFly
backward across the room and caused everything on the walls to fall. It was
like that except louder and much higher pitched. My head hurt for days after. It is now his
favorite thing to do. His scream is so loud that it causes localized temporal
distortions, and time actually folds in on itself in the immediate area of the
shriek. For example, he awoke the other morning at 5am and thought it would be
great fun to shriek until the paint peeled from the walls. After what appeared
to be several hours of this grueling trauma, I checked the clock on the wall and
only fifteen minutes had elapsed.
I hope they use their powers for the good of humankind. I
would hate to be the dad responsible for the downfall of Earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment