Sunday, September 27, 2015

Excuse Me, This Isn’t What I Ordered



I love to cook. I’ve been cooking most of my life and even did it professionally for a time. If I had to swear under penalty of death that I had a hobby, cooking would be that hobby. Naturally, when we learned we were going to have a child I had grandiose ideas of the foods we could make for our darling, little child who would, of course, enjoy my gastronomic ingenuity with all of the  sophisticated etiquette of a tiny, Emily Post. She would, with perfect use of her sterling silver utensils, take the tiniest nibble, gasp in awe, and exclaim in well cultured Received Pronunciation, “Oh, Daddy, this is the most delightful morsel I have ever tasted! I am in utter awe of your culinary abilities, and I am so proud to call you my father.”  I would then grin like some cartoon character as a bright, star-shaped sparkle flashed across my teeth accompanied by a chiming ‘ding’ sound effect, all  while I plated and slung servings of Baked Alaska to all of our closest friends like a fire-juggling card dealer. Everyone would cheer and applaud as old-timey flash bulbs exploded around us like miniature supernovas and photographers with fedoras and clunky cameras would jostle for the best vantage point to get a picture of the world’s greatest dad.
For the following months of my wife’s pregnancy, that naïve delusion infected my mind to the point that I was scoffing at the thought of buying baby food. Why should we? I can make it at home with all of that time and energy I’ll have. Baby food sweet potatoes are nothing more than pureed sweet potatoes…I can do that! I have a food processor! We can buy organic food and make it ourselves! It’ll be great! I’m amazing and I can do anything!!
Fool.
Then our daughter was born and a tiny, livid reality came clawing into our world. The ludicrous fantasies of becoming The Miraculous Artisanal Super Chef Dad that had so permeated my thoughts were quickly decimated in the nuclear heat of our tiny banshee’s screams. Survival was now the goal; any thoughts of cooking were hastily buried in a shallow grave somewhere in a misty valley deep within the recesses of my mind, and that valley was guarded by a screaming baby. Even adult interaction had become sparse. It was as though my wife and I were trapped in a purgatory that was oft visited by restaurant delivery drivers who were taken aback by my disheveled Castaway-esque appearance. With wide eyes and trembling accents, they would kindly refuse our invitations to come in and talk or be friends. The site of two sleep deprived individuals with fixed half-grins, glassy, blood shot eyes and the overall demeanor of escaped asylum patients who jerked and shuddered at the shriek of what sounded like a rabid Tasmanian Devil is enough to keep away all but those with the strongest of fortitude and constitution.     
Nowadays, however, cooking meals is again the norm; but our daughter wants nothing to do with any of it. Most attempts to serve civilized food to my daughter are met with screaming contempt and venomous hatred. I’m convinced that she not only houses a tiny nuclear reactor inside her, but that she also has some sort of mutant digestive system that allows her to thrive on crusty goldfish cracker crumbs, boogers, and dirty bathwater (not to mention, her knees and elbows have been trained by deadly ninja assassins to destroy any testicle within reach, but that’s for another time).  
She happily announced over her pancake breakfast this morning that her favorite food was butter and that she intended to eat the entire container of yoghurt-based-pretend-that-it’s-butter spread. Then, like a tiny pirate, she plunged her pancake cutting knife into the depths of the pretending-to-be-butter bucket, pulled forth the heart of the buttery beast, and began to lick the butter straight from the butter knife like it was some kind of Paula Deen popsicle. The made with love Mickey Mouse shaped, chocolate chip pancakes weren’t good enough, even though that’s what she specifically asked for, no, she wanted to pirate a pound of butter off of a knife, then lick the sugar-free syrup from her plate like a dog. So, by the end of breakfast there was a Mickey Mouse pancake with a hole chewed right through the center, and a four year old whose face was covered in pretend butter and syrup with little bits of pancake shrapnel embedded in the buttery-syrup spackle. She looked as though the breakfast wars erupted all around her and she had emerged victorious from the sweet, fluffy rubble.


As per her current attitude toward dining, we are doing the general public the favor of not taking her to any restaurants. We’ll have to cross into that war zone eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment