Friday, October 4, 2013

You don’t have the guts…

    

     I had always heard of the “terrible twos” but I really thought that with my daughter the terrible twos started when she was about nine months old. But now I really think I’m seeing a totally different type of terrible… strategic defiance.
     I find myself walking that line again of deciding whether I should choose my battles or launch an all-out offensive against the anarchy that is toddlerdom. Sometimes it’s an exercise in absolute futility, sometimes it’s a Pyrrhic victory and only in the rarest of circumstances is any type of understanding actually achieved. I am speaking, of course, of the attempt to discipline a two year old. I honestly believe that the most hardened of criminals have an easier time accepting right and wrong and understanding the impact of their transgressions than does a toddler. I don’t get the feeling that it’s my daughter’s lack of ability to understand, I really do think that she couldn't care less about what I have to say. And not to say she simply disregards my words, that’s too weak in its meaning; I think she, in her own inner monologue at least, actually laughs at what I’m telling her. She may have the form of a two year old child, but her mind is like that of the most cunning and wily beast ever to roam the face of the earth.
     My daughter is starting to test the waters, so to speak. She is trying her best to let me know that she and she alone is at the hierarchical apex in our home and we, her mother and (especially) her father,  will either bow to her will or face her wrath and be summarily executed for crimes against the crown. I, of course, must remind her that she is a two year old and not Ming the Merciless and she, indeed, does not reign supreme over the universe and all who abide in it. She actually does, though, reign over the corner of the living room where her baby dolls reside as she likes to give them their meals, tell them when to go to bed, put them in time out and then beat them senseless when they disobey her. I think her little corner of an empire may be inflating her ego and giving her a little, tiny Napoleon complex. I will, however, meet her at Waterloo.
     Recently, we had an afternoon that saw three trips to time out in fewer than three hours. Trips number one and two were for hitting me. She thinks that whenever she disagrees with me, or I suppose more correctly, when I disagree with her agenda, she must strike me down. This could be for any reason such as: “I’m tired of holding my cup and you won’t relieve me from the burden”, “The food you placed before me is not fit to be zoo fodder even thought I specifically asked for it and was happy with it a moment ago” or, “This is the duckie towel and I will only be dried with the owl towel”.  The first two time out sessions this day had to do with an unannounced change in her lunch request that I should have been telepathically aware of, and because it’s her couch and she will jump on it if she pleases and who am I to demand otherwise.  Whenever there is a violation that earns discipline, my wife and I always explain the infraction, explain that there are consequences for actions and that we are not to do those things. Then, after the time out has ended, we re-cap and re-explain everything in an attempt to gain understanding on her part. It’s generally a fruitless endeavor, but we hope to lay the groundwork in her mind. Our daughter, however, is quietly planning an insurrection.
     The third time out of the day was doled out because of contempt and because she needs to understand danger. She was playing with her baby dolls in the living room and I took the opportunity to slip into the kitchen to start cutting things in preparation for dinner and my wife took the chance to sneak away to the laundry, unhindered by shouts of “MOMMY’S TURN! MOMMY’S TURN!” to take care of the million loads of laundry that a family with a two year old apparently needs on a weekly basis. My chef’s knife was on the board as I was putting some sliced vegetables in a bowl when my daughter came into the kitchen. She feigned interest in me and went straight for the knife, as anything within a foot of the counter’s edge is now well within her grasp. I grabbed her hand and explained she shouldn't touch that as it is dangerous and she could get hurt (I actually think her intention was to teach me a lesson, once and for all). She looked at me, bewildered, as if she could not believe I was telling her what to do, and she reached for it again. I, of course, a little more sternly this time, told her to stop and explained again the danger and told her that if she did it again, it would mean a time out. She stared deep into my eyes, this time with her brow furrowed and her eyes afire with indignation and slowly reached for the handle of the knife as I stared back at her. It had become a game of chicken. I would not be playing the part of the chicken, so up she went and was transported to the time out chair, which is an extra dining chair that is in the corner of the living room, opposite the corner where her dolls live. The result of my asking her if she knew why she was in time out and my attempted explanation as to the potential danger she faced and why it’s important to listen to Daddy was for her to literally dance around the issue. She responded with “Look, I’m dancing” as she stood up and tap danced circles in the chair, and said “I want some chicken nuggets.”  Either no comprehension or no desire to comprehend, I’m still trying to comprehend.

     It’s going to be a long road. Teaching my daughter right from wrong and even more so, trying to help her understand right and wrong and actions and consequences is going to be a lifelong task, and it’s one to which I’m totally committed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment